1. This is a group work task that is required to be completed in pairs or small groups.ROLE PLAY – Students will act out their chosen scenario to the class highlighting how the civil dispute in the scenario would be resolved using mediation.
2. What happens in a mediation session:
The mediators will help the parties:
- identify and explore the issues in dispute
- develop options
- consider alternatives
- work together to reach an agreement that is fair to all parties involved
- If an agreementis made (that is, a settlement is reached) at the mediation, the agreement is put in writing and signed by all parties.
During the mediation all parties have the chance to meet privately with the mediators to discuss any issues and to consider possible options for resolution.
Conversations at mediations are private and anything that is said will not be considered by a member if you later go to a hearing.
Parties may be asked to sign a confidentiality agreement. This means you can’t disclose to anyone, including the media, what was said or done or any confidential documents shown.
Mediations at VCAT cannot be recorded and the mediator’s notes are not kept on file.