1. The City of Monash made this local law.
2. The objectives of this local law is to prohibit smoking within the confines of a playground located within a Council reserve; to protect the health and enjoyment of Council’s residents and ratepayers, and the amenity of the municipal district; and to provide for the peace, order and good government of the municipal district.
3. The local law applies and operates throughout the City of Monash.
4. Student responses will vary. However, students might, for example, suggest protecting children and young people from the dangers of second-hand smoke or reducing the role modelling of smoking behaviours around children and young people.
5. The penalty for smoking in a playground located in the City of Monash is one penalty unit.
6. As of July 2018, the current value of a penalty unit is $161.19.